Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Yellow Food

On top of Old Smokey,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

Most yellow and orange food is packed with carotenoids, which give them their vibrant colour. Three of the most common carotenoids – alpha-carotene, beta carotene and beta cryptoxanthin – can be converted from foods into vitamin A in the body. This nutrient is needed for good vision in dim light, normal growth and development, a strong immune system and to keep the skin and cells that line the airways, digestive tract and urinary tract healthy.

Choose from apricots, rockmelon, mangoes, nectarines, peaches, papaya, oranges, satsumas, grapefruit, pineapple, passion fruit, carrots, swede, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, pumpkin, yellow and orange peppers, sweetcorn.

Oh, you don't mean...


Household staples.  How long can I keep rotating Passage to India Butter Chicken and Sharwoods Large Pappadums, spaghetti bolognaise, lasagne, weiner schnitzel, tuna casserole, macaroni cheese and Old El Paso Burritos?  How come, when I am feeling vaguely adventurous, I always end up with improbable ingredients in the pantry or fridge like one lime, a packet of dried apricots, a tub of salmon mousse and half a butternut pumpkin?  I really should audition for the daytime TV show Ready, Steady, Cook where the object is to create a sumptuous meal out of a random collection of foods.  That's me every night.  It's not for want of trying either.  You should see the recipe collection.  Somehow something always seems to go awry in the execution or fatal shortcuts are taken.  I really like toast these days but I can even manage to burn that. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...