Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Footballer's Affirmation



The meditation affirmation of Brett Kirk, Captain of the Sydney Swans AFL team (Captain Kirk).

"As a human being I’m honest, I’m passionate, I’m courageous, I’m disciplined, I have a concentrated mind, I’m compassionate, I’m aware, I’m a good listener, I’m patient, I’m tolerant, I’m fun, I’m adventurous, I’m loving and I’m affectionate, I’m kind, I’m responsible, I am love. I don’t get caught up in my thoughts, I don’t give control to my ego, I don’t dwell on the past, I don’t worry about the future, because the only moment we have is this moment right now."

I caught this thanks to Judith Lucy's Spiritual Journey program on the ABC (a comedic Aussie version of Eat, Pray, Love.  Sort of.)    I only saw a snippet of one episode but what a compelling one it was.  A highly evolved footy player!  Too good to be true.  In addition to this startling revelation which almost, but not quite, converted me to the sport, however, it was also a timely reminder of the need for some still, quiet moments in the day.  Because once the children get in the car, the noise and busy-ness begins and there's no let-up until bedtime. It takes vast amounts of psychic energy after a day's work to cajole and persuade children to do music practice, eat dinner without too much carry-on and put the dishes in the sink etc, so one needs to build up reserves of patience.  

Photo: Our walk along the base of Red Hill on the Deakin-side looking south-west.  By me. Walking it off is another recommended form of therapy.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...