Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sea of words



There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

~ Lord George Gordon Byron (1814)

We had a long, indulgent phone conversation with Wanna's godmother in Brisbane last night.  Passed her round so every-one could have a chat and managed to cook meat and three veg at the same time.  L. and I go back to university days and have one of those relationships you can pick up where you left off after long breaks.  She's assumed legendary status in our family as that distant person Mum talks about and who sends presents.  Her image stays real through the christening photographs.  I grew up with a distant aunt like that, who lived in England. It's sort of fun as a kid to have a real, but imaginary, friend.  L. may be coming to visit in May.  Roll out the carpet! 

I'm dragging myself towards the end of tomorrow when I start my school holiday/Easter/ANZAC day break.  I'm feeling an information overload at the moment.  Primarily due to escapades into the Twitter-sphere trawling for information about its use in the public sector and by institutions.  Social media is a busy, crowded space.  Invigorating and depleting at the same time.  There should be licences for Twitter accounts, granted only after potential users pass a test guaranteeing that they will post interesting content.   If you don't hear from me I'm probably lost at sea, clinging to the flotsam and jetsam of tweets and hashtags.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...