Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hard Copy: All the way



A Book

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
 ***
Here's to hard copy.  People look at me askance in the office when I suggest printing a publication.  It's all pdf and html to them.  I have a Kindle but it's not the same as a book; a real new book smelling of ink and clean paper.   Untouched.  I don't much go for second hand books except when they are library books and even then I leap for joy when I score a new book acquisition and discover I am the first borrower.   I hope no more bookstores go out of business.  How ever will we browse the new book selection?  We are writing to Queen Elizabeth on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee.  You can do so by email (as we've done) but it's not the same as writing a real letter either.  Receiving an honest to goodness letter by reply in the mail from the Lady-in-Waiting at Balmoral Castle is such a thrill, I can tell you.  No email pdf can match it.

Poem by Emily Dickinson

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...