Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Memory

Candlelit Heart

~ Mary E. Linton


Somewhere across the winter world tonight
You will be hearing chimes that fill the air;
Christmas extends its all-enfolding light
Across the distance...something we can share.
You will be singing, just the same as I,
These familiar songs we know so well,
And you will see these same stars in your sky
And wish upon that brightest one that fell.
I shall remember you and trim my tree,
One shining star upon the topmost bough;
I will hang wreaths of faith that all may see --
Tonight I glimpse beyond the hear and now.
And all the time that we must be apart
I keep a candle in my heart.

***

Remembering my Mum and Dad at this time of year.  The children are thinking of Grandma too.  When I was a child we would have cut down our casaurina tree Christmas tree by now and ordered the ham for boiling in the copper tub down the back yard.  The dining room would be festooned with paper decorations and Chinese lanterns with thin tassles.  The wreath would be on the front door and Aunty Val in England's goblet candles would adorn the coffee table.   Mum would have made the Christmas cake and stirred in the threepences.  Whole watermelons and trays of mangoes would be chilling in the downstairs fridge.  Good memories.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...