Friday, August 12, 2011

Waxing gibbous

The Freedom of the Moon
~ by Robert Frost
I've tried the new moon tilted in the air
Above a hazy tree-and-farmhouse cluster
As you might try a jewel in your hair.
I've tried it fine with little breadth of luster,
Alone, or in one ornament combining
With one first-water start almost shining.

I put it shining anywhere I please.
By walking slowly on some evening later,
I've pulled it from a crate of crooked trees,
And brought it over glossy water, greater,
And dropped it in, and seen the image wallow,
The color run, all sorts of wonder follow.
***
The weekend.  Hurrah. Swimming lesssons as usual.  Soccer, ballet and a sleepover for the rest of the time.  Weather permitting we might go for a bush walk or cycle somewhere new. Endless possibilities plus a bit of Daniel Deronda by George Eliot (BBC TV series, 2002); the next period piece on my list. With Hugh Dancy - also a classic romantic hero of mine.
Have I mentioned that we are trying our hand at cooking confectionary?  This week we prepared coconut ice to take to school to share in the classroom to celebrate Charly's birthday, and next up we might try fudge just for the fun of it.  I've consulted my faithful Day to Day cookery book from high school home economics classes and see that I may need to purchase a packet of Cream of Tartar. It seems to be in everything.  Charly and I came up with the meme: add 'with cream of tartar' to the end of every recipe in Day2Day.   Fruit Flummery 'with cream of tartar'.    Anna Potatoes 'with cream of tartar'. Boiled custard 'with cream of tartar'.  Ok, you had to be there, and be about 11 years of age with a zany mother to appreciate the humour.  We had a good giggle.  Just the two of us.  Sweet girl. 
Tonight the moon in the southern hemisphere is 98 per cent full and waxing gibbous.  We shall be looking out for it as we walk from the pool and do a little bit of start-gazing as usual.
Photo: The Royal Australian Mint, Canberra by me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...