Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ladies in Lavender Silk


The Little Old Lady In Lavender Silk

~ Dorothy Parker 1931

I was seventy-seven, come August,
I shall shortly be losing my bloom;
I’ve experienced zephyr and raw gust
And (symbolical) flood and simoom.

When you come to this time of abatement,
To this passing from Summer to Fall,
It is manners to issue a statement
As to what you got out of it all.

So I’ll say, though reflection unnerves me
And pronouncements I dodge as I can,
That I think (if my memory serves me)
There was nothing more fun than a man!

In my youth, when the crescent was too wan
To embarrass with beams from above,
By the aid of some local Don Juan
I fell into the habit of love.

And I learned how to kiss and be merry—an
Education left better unsung.
My neglect of the waters Pierian
Was a scandal, when Grandma was young.

Though the shabby unbalanced the splendid,
And the bitter outmeasured the sweet,
I should certainly do as I then did,
Were I given the chance to repeat.

For contrition is hollow and wraithful,
And regret is no part of my plan,
And I think (if my memory’s faithful)
There was nothing more fun than a man!

***
 
I blushed when I was mentioned by Jeanne of Collage of Life in one of her Blog Love posts long, long ago.  In typically generous form, Jeanne initiated this concept to introduce readers to new sites and to provide encouragement to every-day blogspeople like myself who chronicle ordinary events from our little corner of the world.  The idea was to spread the word about our own favourite bloggers and those who have supported and influenced us.

On my list are folk who have legions of adoring fans and certainly don't need my help to raise their profile, but I mention them because they have influenced me in small, but significant ways - making me look at life a little differently, appreciate the small details of family life and igniting a long dormant creative spark.  

So here we go:

Distracted by Shiny Objects from A Tidings of Magpies -- who started it all for me through her poetry and reflections of life as a critical care nurse from Cincinnati.

Jo from A Cup of Jo -- who doesn't love Jo, Alex and Toby? OK, I'll go the back of the queue.

Kerry from A Tranquil Townhouse  -- extra special as she's from my town, knows my beat and always writes humorous and uplifting posts. Wise and wonderful. 

Tania McCartney  -- gasp!  So clever, crafty, energetic and stylish. Also from my town which is extra spesh.  In awe, I am.  Always.

A-M from The House that AM Built  -- love that Cape Cod/French Provincial/industrial decorating style and deeply moved by her ability to rise above personal travail.

Millie from The Laurel Hedge  -- mixes thoughts about her work, decorating and life with MOTH and five (FIVE!) sons

Meredy from Count it All Joy -- warm, honest insights into bringing up a large brood, with a spiritual touch. Responsible for my attempting a rainbow cake; not as good as her signature creation, but baked to an impressive height nonetheless.

Sharon from my french country home -- what a life, what a romantic story of her move to France.  Knows her way around French linen and lace, including granny's ancien bloomers and night attire, like no-one else.

Miss Parker might have though men were fun, but, by golly, these women, plus all the other gorgeous gals over there on the side bar {waving}, sure know how to enjoy life.   I don't have time these days to catch up on every one daily, but when I do gorge on multiple posts in the one sitting, it's always enthralling to see what everyone has been up to.  It's one of the wonders of modern technology that we can connect this way; scribble our thoughts or paste a photograph and reach more readers in faraway places than Ms Parker would have ever dreamed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...