Saturday, March 12, 2011

Borderline

There was an old man on the Border,
Who lived in the utmost disorder;
He danced with the cat, and made tea in his hat,
Which vexed all the folks on the Border.

The cricket season ended today.  All the children went to watch Ro-Ro play and I was to go later to watch the final overs and collect Wanna for her ballet lesson.  However.  I couldn't find the pitch.  I drove to every oval in South Canberra.  Then, when I finally tracked them down, I couldn't find the girls.  They were absolutely nowhere to be seen.  For about twenty minutes, another father and I wandered all around the borders of the oval (while play continued with the Strong Silent One umpiring), checking behind dubious sheds and in the pavilion, around the bushes and along the footpath.  I was getting a little anxious and we were running late.  After - much to do - involving frantic pacing and calling out names, we found them.  There they were all along under an improvised shade cloth with a school friend they had found watching another match with her family -- right adjacent to our game on the very same oval.  About 25 metres away.

Borderline madness!

Limerick by Edward Lear
Image: near the Victorian and South Australian borders.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...