Friday, February 4, 2011

Sea Spirit

The Sea Spirit
~ Lucy Maud Montgomery

I smile o'er the wrinkled blue­
Lo! the sea is fair,
Smooth as the flow of a maiden's hair;
And the welkin's* light shines through
Into mid-sea caverns of beryl hue,
And the little waves laugh and the mermaids sing,
And the sea is a beautiful, sinuous thing!


Ah yes.  I need some respite from all this disaster news.  I'm not even living it and I find it exhausting.  The perils of being an onlooker.   Right now I would like to paddle in the sea.  Above picture is our little hideaway along the Great Ocean Road.  So soothing.  Not a cloud in sight.   A sheltered nook.  Transparent gentle waves like little frills. 

I have four days leave until school starts.  I have anumber of projects underway including re-modelling a timber hall table and stool with white paint.  I've been entirely influenced by these clever people on my side bar who can transform furniture with 'a light sand, a layer of primer and few coats of Dulux Antique White USA'.  It's cruel.  They make it sound so easy, but it's not.  It's messy and time-consuming and sweaty work.  Still, I'm on a mission and it's a great distraction.  Sort of.

*Welkin is an archaic, English term; it refers to the sky, the upper air, the firmament, the heavens or the Celestial sphere. Especially the highest celestial sphere e.g. the empyrean.  So now you know. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...