Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Work, rest and play

Dream Deferred

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

In a week I start a new job in the same big, fat department but a different area.  I'm slightly apprehensive about the change and how to retain, or gain, some semblance work-life balance.  I'm not looking to forward to being the new kid on the block, learning the ropes and merging into the new workplace culture. Finding the stationary cupboard.  Familiarising myself with an electronic filing system.  Making new contacts.  Getting off at the right floor.  Still, I think it is a good move.  Best to keep learning and dreaming rather than get stuck in a rut.  Create the illusion of some ambition.  Seize the opportunities when they present and all that :)

No chance to keep my feet up. 

Poem by Langston Hughes
Photo by me, of me, feet up and lolling about at the Smiggins Holes Bar and Bistro. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...